Item 155279 - View of Saint-Basile, New Brunswick, and St. David, ca. 1907
- Item 155279 - View of Saint-Basile, New Brunswick, and St. David, ca. 1907
- Contributed by Acadian Archives
- Item 155279
-
-
Zoom
- 4597px x 3037px - 15.3"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Acadian Archives
-
Image Info Acadian and French-Canadian families began to settle in Saint-Basile on the north side of the St. John River in the 1780s. This was the historic home of the Wəlastəkwewiyik, whose presence survives with the nearby Madawaska Maliseet First Nation. Settlers received grants on both sides of the river from the New Brunswick colonial government; the exact location of the international border would not be agreed upon until 1842.
Show Details
On the near (New Brunswick) side of the photo, we see, at the bottom right, the old convent school, which served as an academy and orphanage from 1889 to 1915. It was operated by the Religious Hospitallers of Saint Joseph. The building's vocation changed to healthcare in 1915. It is still used as a home for the elderly. The Catholic church at the bottom left was one of several that stood on this site. The structure on the postcard was built in the 1850s; it was destroyed by fire in 1932. Across the river in Maine are the "flats" that were quickly turned to farming by early settlers.
The card was addressed to Miss Rosalie Pelletier of Van Buren. It appears to have been signed by a "Nelida" or "Melida" and sent from Rogersville, New Brunswick. The card bears a postmark of September 4, 1907.
J. M. Flewelling published and printed the card in Britain.