Item 155248 - Coram Library, Lewiston, ca. 1930

Item 155248 - Coram Library, Lewiston, ca. 1930
Contributed by Acadian Archives
Item 155248
Coram Library, Lewiston, ca. 1930
Zoom
4591px x 3043px - 15.3"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi  |  Need a larger size?
*Credit line must read: Collections of Acadian Archives
Image Info

Coram Library opened in 1901 and Bates College's book collection was transferred from Hathorn Hall, which was the first building erected on campus. A substantial renovation of the library occurred in 1948-1949. The building faces the old quad just north of College Avenue.

The college was founded in 1855. It was renamed in honor of Benjamin Bates, who had donated substantial sums, in 1863. Bates earned his wealth from the manufacturing sector, particularly the Bates Manufacturing Company, which contributed to Lewiston's ascent as a major textile-producing center.

The approximate date given here reflects the rough age range of similar items in the Helen Daigle Collection. The card is undated and bears no postmark. It was never mailed. Additional information about the library and the date of this postcard is welcome.

Show Details